Thursday, August 12, 2010

8/12/2010 - Light Wheat Bread

This is one of the few formulas in BBA that, like challah, requires no preferment or delayed fermentation. This is also the first bread recipe I have ever followed that produces only one loaf of bread. It could, of course, be doubled, but I opted to follow directions. The formula is your basic wheat bread formula - mix and knead the standard ingredients, rise, shape and pan, proof, bake.  And the resulting loaf is your basic wheat bread - soft, wholesome, and slightly sweet.  Excellent sandwich bread.  PR instructs that this bread can be sweetened with either granulated sugar or honey. I went the sugar route because I didn't want to mess with measuring out sticky honey if I didn't have to. That was dumb. I knew as I spooned in the sugar that honey would be better and, sure enough, the first thought to cross my mind when I tasted the finished bread was, "This would be so much better with honey." Maybe next time.        

No comments: