Monday, November 1, 2010

10/30/2010 - Stollen

What better time to make stollen than for a Reformation Day Germanfest potluck? I have to admit that I wasn't too excited to bake stollen after being so disappointed with my panettone.

The evening before baking, I tossed my dried fruit mixture (golden raisins, dried cherries, and snipped dried apples) with white rum and orange extract. The next morning I mixed up the dough, rich with butter, egg, and milk and flavored with orange zest and cinnamon. I added the fruit mixture and kneaded it well, and then set it in a bowl to rise. I really enjoyed the shaping of this bread. The dough is lightly flattened into a rectangle, sprinkled with sliced almonds, and then flattened more in the middle with a rolling pin. It is then folded over itself a couple of times with more almonds sprinkled in the folds, pressed together, and curled into a crescent. After proofing and baking, the bread is brushed with oil and heavily dusted with powdered sugar. The finished loaves are quite dramatic.

I am still not a lover of fruit bread, but we all enjoyed stollen more than panettone. It was a bit dry for our taste, but just judging from the notes alongside the formula I think it is supposed to be that way.
  

No comments: