Tuesday, September 28, 2010

9/24/2010 - New York Deli Rye

This was the next bread in my sourdough run and my first rye bread. I added lightly sautéed onions to the preferment, which was optional, but I skipped the caraway seeds. J4 and I weren't sure if we knew what rye tasted like apart from the caraway flavor, and we wanted to find out. This bread smelled amazing as it baked. I think it was the onions that did it. I didn't really know what to think when I tasted it for the first time. I told J4 I didn't know if I could handle a bread with this much flavor. There was the tang of sourdough, the flavor of the onions, and the flavor of the rye itself. It took me a bit to get used to it, but J4 loved it from the start. The texture of this bread was very soft, and it stayed moist for days. While it was almost too flavorful to be eaten on its own (for my taste anyway), this bread made amazing sandwiches . . . and I guess that's what you're supposed to do with a deli rye anyway.

No comments: