Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Taking a "break"

Sort of. I went an entire week without crossing a single formula off my BBA list. That's not to say I didn't bake any of them, I just baked one I had made before. Specifically, I revisited potato rosemary bread, but with a slight variation. This past week I baked potato basil bread, and I made it twice. I was helping with the food at a baby shower this past weekend, and I decided to try out a recipe I've always been intrigued by but never had a good reason to make: the Big Sandwich. You take a round loaf of bread, slice it into five horizontal slices, and load it up with roast beef, turkey or ham, bacon, several types of cheese, onions, and tomatoes. You pop the whole thing in the oven to melt the cheese, slice it into wedges, and serve. Yum! I chose to use potato rosemary bread for its softness, but I wanted the flavor to be a bit milder so I substituted fresh chopped basil for the rosemary. It was perfect for this application. My sandwiches were only sliced into four horizontal slices because the loaves were on the small side, but they turned out beautifully and were delicious!  

No comments: