Saturday, July 17, 2010

7/12/2010 - Anadama Bread

PR calls anadama bread "one of the great New England breads."  I can count the number of days I've spent in New England on one hand, so I'll take his word on that.  I had never heard of this bread before.  Cornmeal and molasses are featured, giving the bread a unique flavor.

In this formula, the already flavorful cornmeal is soaked overnight to bring out even more of its natural sugars.  The next day, the water, yeast, and some of the flour is added to form a sponge that is allowed to ferment for an hour before mixing in the remaining ingredients, kneading, and so on.  I've never baked with molasses before, and I was surprised by the smell of it.  I've eaten it in cookies and like it just fine, but I found that the smell of raw molasses kind of makes my skin crawl.  To me, it smells like bad spaghetti-o's.  But I managed to make the bread anyway, and once it was baked I had no problem eating it.  It had a slightly sweet, pleasant flavor, and it made excellent French toast.         

No comments: