Monday, November 15, 2010

11/15/2010 - Multigrain Bread Extraordinaire

It seems like I saved all the easy one day formulas for the end, doesn't it? Here's another one that was ready by lunchtime.

This formula utilizes a soaker to tenderize several of the grains that grace this bread. Coarse cornmeal (I used the plain normal grind), rolled oats, and wheat bran (I substituted whole wheat flour . . . it has some bran, right?) are soaked in water at room temperature overnight. I left my soaker out overnight and in the morning I mixed up the flour, brown sugar, salt, and yeast. I added the soaker, some cooked brown rice, honey, warm milk, and water to make the dough. I kneaded it and left it to rise until it doubled. I shaped and panned my loaf, let it proof about an hour, and baked it 50 minutes or so.

This is a fabulous sandwich bread. I really enjoyed its light sweetness and soft, moist texture. This formula makes a two-pound loaf and I only have 1 1/2 pound bread pans, so my pan was a little overfilled, but it worked ok. Not awesome, but ok enough that I would do it again. This one could become a standby.

No comments: