Monday, November 8, 2010

11/6/2010 - Marbled Rye

Unlike most of the rye formulas in this book, this bread is made in one day without any sourdough barm. Easy. You just have to make two doughs instead of one. The light and dark rye doughs are identical except that the dark includes a coloring agent. I used cocoa to darken mine. I actually used 50% more cocoa than the formula called for, and I would still have liked it to be a little darker. I suspect that the only way to get the rich dark rye that I'm looking for is with liquid caramel coloring, but I don't have any of that sitting around my kitchen.

I mixed and kneaded my doughs, first the light and then the dark. This dough incorporates a bit of molasses, and that smell still makes my skin crawl a little. The doughs rose for about an hour and a half, and then I divided them each into six equal portions for shaping. I flattened three light and three dark portions into rectangles and alternately layered them; I then rolled them up and sealed the crease to make a spiral loaf. I divided the remaining three light and three dark portions in half, and then squashed them together to form a marbled loaf. I panned my loaves, let them proof for another hour and a half, brushed them with an egg wash, and baked them.  

These loaves were just plain fun. The flavor was good (although J4 was disappointed that I didn't add caraway seeds), but I really just enjoyed the fun patterns in the bread. I just wish my dark rye had been darker.

No comments: