Wednesday, September 1, 2010

8/28/2010 - Cinnamon Buns

Yum! I was excited about this one. This formula is one of the few in BBA that can be made in one day, but I opted to stretch it to two days so we could enjoy these for breakfast. This is a rich dough (though not nearly as rich as, say, brioche), and you actually begin by creaming together sugar, salt, and butter or shortening almost like you're making a cake. Once you mix in the remaining ingredients, it is clearly a bread dough, but a very soft one (or as PR describes it, "silky"). The dough is kneaded and rises to double its size. Then you roll it out into a rectangle, sprinkle it with cinnamon and sugar, roll it up into a log, slice it, and lay the slices on a sheet pan. At that point, I stuck my sheet pan in the fridge overnight. Well, kind of overnight; I actually set it back on the counter to warm back up and proof at 1am or so. That way, they were ready to bake when we got up in the morning. While they baked, I made the glaze and we all enjoyed the smell of baking cinnamon buns.

These were yummy, but I'll make some changes next time. First, I will use the full amount of cinnamon and sugar called for. It looked like way too much as I was sprinkling it over the rolled out dough so I probably stopped with almost half of my mix left, but this batch definitely needed more. Second, I will make fewer, thicker buns next time. I made 16 buns this time; next time I'll try 12. Finally, the lemon extract. The formula calls for lemon extract to be added to both the dough and the glaze. It didn't bother me in the dough, and I think I'll keep it there, but the glaze was so overpoweringly lemon flavored that it took away from the flavor of the buns. Next time I'm leaving that out completely. One thing I changed that I was happy about - I halved the recipe for the glaze (and yes, I put in half the lemon extract called for), and that made the perfect amount.

No comments: