Friday, August 6, 2010

8/2/2010 - Tuscan Bread

This is one bread that I can guarantee you I would never have baked under ordinary circumstances.  The first thing PR says about this bread in his brief description is that it is salt free and therefore "rather dull and flat-tasting."  What makes this bread interesting is that it is made with a cooked flour paste, which sits at room temperature overnight.  I prepared my paste, stirring boiling water into flour until it was smooth, and let it sit overnight.  The next day I mixed, kneaded, rose, shaped, proofed and baked with little to report.  I am getting much more comfortable with hearth baking, transferring the bread from counter to pre-heated stone on parchment paper and using a steam pan and spray bottle to keep the oven humid.  It was a little intimidating to me at first, but I haven't shattered my oven door window yet (as can happen if cool water hits very hot glass).

In truth, the bread was quite bland.  Not flavorless, but bland.  We ate it with some very good soup and didn't mind it at all, but it would have made horrible sandwiches.  J4's comment: "Good thing you made this.  Now if your bread ever tastes like this again, we'll know what you did wrong."  Thanks, honey.

No comments: