Friday, July 16, 2010

The Challenge Begins . . .

It all started with a selfish anniversary gift that I gave to my husband, J4. I had scoured the internet for the best bread book I could find, and I settled on Peter Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice.  Don't get me wrong, J4 loves cooking and has been fascinated with the idea of bread baking of late.  He's even done it once.  But I'm the one who bakes the bread around here.  I stay home with our two kids, both under two years, and bread baking has become my outlet, my personal project that has nothing to do with my children (well, besides the fact that they eat it).

Even though the book was secretly for me, J4 was thrilled with it.  He paged through the opening tutorial and searched the list of formulas for the more exciting entries.  Then he looked up at me and said, "You should make all of these."

I know, you've already seen this movie.  We've actually read Julie & Julia, and I'm sure that's where his next idea came from.  "You should make them all in one year."

I'm not writing this blog because I'm an amazing bread baker.  I consider myself just crossing the line between "beginner" and "intermediate".  This blog is my secret public journal in which I plan to chronicle my successes and failures in my journey to becoming a better baker.  I'm flattered that you're reading it, and I welcome any words of experience, advice, or encouragement you wish to share.

No comments: